This is the building shell, and core, and includes all the standard operating equipment and safety measures.
All of you – the owner, the operator and the tenant. Why, because it is covered in multiple legislation. Ultimately the owner is responsible but there responsibilities are often transferred to the occupants in the lease.
If you are using them, then in most cases it will be you. (see your lease) some costs get to be reimbursed by the owner in some cases.
Well this is base building, if its worn out and has been maintained correctly, it is on the owner, if it breaks down for over use its on you.
Every tenancy is responsible for some or all of their Essential Safety Measures as the owner cannot perform all the maintenance due to you operating in the space (ie Access and Egress) Everyone must display their own ESM certificate, even if the owner looks after some or all of the services.
If you've changed the premises, then you are, and the costs; and you must have approvals from the owner.
Generally no, as you haven't altered the premises and it is still operating in its original specification.
In 2017 the answer is YES, Why, because you are introducing new materials to the premises and altering the premises. If you are replacing like with like, then No you don’t need a permit, except that the new product must have a Australian Standard specification and is suitable for use. ie. Flammabilty, toxicity.
Generally no, if the equipment is working within the manufacturers original specification and has been maintained and there is proof of both.
Some items are redundant, and some items are illegal to replace (ie Asbestos panels) You can change them for a comparable model or material, upgrade it and you need a permit.
As standards change, you may be compelled to upgrade, ie switchboards, plumbing, doors and handles. A qualified trades person MUST only operate within the law. I.e. If a switchboard is redundant or illegal, they are compelled to upgrade and the cost could be borne by the owner as it is a base building cost. Some ESM equipment has a useful life and has compulsory replacement procedures (i.e. fire extinguishers/hoses).
Yes, you may need a permit and you may have to add this to a service list to be maintained. If you add equipment it must be maintained.
Access and Egress is VERY important, and must be kept maintained 24/7. It allows people to exit the building, and allows emergency services to enter the building at any time in case of emergency and fire. It also ensures there are no obstructions or hazards to trip on or get tangled in when attending an incident.
ES are items like Exit and Emergency lights, Alarms and switchboards and other equipment using or utilising electricity or batteries.
FDS can be smoke detectors, alarms, sensors, monitors and Fire Panels. Some items are overlapped in ES.
FSS are fire extinguishers, Hoses, Hose Reels, Hydrants, Fire Blankets, Boosters and the like.
MS are mechanical equipment in a building and include Lifts and Escalators, Electronic Doors and Gates, Air Handling and Ventilation Systems, Filtratation and Water Treatment. MS-HVAC is very important as it controls smoke, fresh air, airborne particulates and disease within and between tenancies and buildings.
This is extensive, it can include lists of materials used in construction to materials stored on site, documents and reports provided by tradespeople and contractors.
A certificate produced annually that verifies/accreditates that all the compulsory work on the permits and that maintenance has been performed.
Only qualified, trained and endorsed personnel can provide ESM services. Some task are limited to professionals only.